jamoma~

tap

jamoma~

tap
Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

Inline image 1

+1m

Re: jamoma~

adrian.g
Administrator
cool!

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM, tap [via Jamoma Forums/Mailing lists] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

Inline image 1

+1m

To start a new topic under Jamoma Development, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Jamoma Development, click here.
NAML

Adrian Gierakowski

Re: jamoma~

Pascal Baltazar-5
+1

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org

Le 27 déc. 2012 à 18:36, adrian.g <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> cool!
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM, tap [via Jamoma Forums/Mailing lists] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.
>

> +1m

> To start a new topic under Jamoma Development, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Jamoma Development, click here.
> NAML
>

> --
> Adrian Gierakowski

Re: jamoma~

Nathan Wolek-2
Sweet!

--Nathan Wolek

On 27. des. 2012, at 18:33, Timothy Place <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

tap

Re: jamoma~

tap
There is now also a jamoma≈ version for the audio graph.

This means that we should no longer need to create individual externals (and their projects) for each and every object that we want to use in Max for msp or the audio graph.  That can still be done for special cases, but the vast majority of cases can now be used in Max "for free" once you create the DSP extension.

best,

+1m

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Nathan Wolek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sweet!

--Nathan Wolek

On 27. des. 2012, at 18:33, Timothy Place <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

Re: jamoma~

Nils Peters
Hi Tim,

that's great.
I have one suggestion:
Many of the jcom objects use additional descriptors for the attributes
to make the inspector in Max more usable.
For instance jcom.delay≈:

wrapAsMaxAudioGraph(TT("delay"), "jcom.delay≈", &c, options);
CLASS_ATTR_ENUM(c->maxClass, "interpolation", 0, "none linear cubic");

I guess in jamoma~ wrapper, those descriptors are not present.
Do you think it is possible to add those descriptors into the c++ code
directly, so that the jamoma~ wrapper can access them?

Maybe this example does not seem so important, but for instance, the
jcom.panorama~ wrapper specifies "fixedNumOutputChannels":

options->append(TT("fixedNumOutputChannels"), v);
wrapTTClassAsMaxClass(TT("panorama"), "jcom.panorama~", &c, options);

cheers,

nils

On 2012-12-28 9:26 AM, Timothy Place wrote:
> There is now also a jamoma≈ version for the audio graph.
>
> This means that we should no longer need to create individual externals
> (and their projects) for each and every object that we want to use in
> Max for msp or the audio graph.  That can still be done for special
> cases, but the vast majority of cases can now be used in Max "for free"
> once you create the DSP extension.
>
> best,
>
> +1m
>

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Nathan Wolek <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Sweet!
>
>     --Nathan Wolek
>
>     On 27. des. 2012, at 18:33, Timothy Place <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>      > Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

> Master HTML5, CSS3, ASP.NET, MVC, AJAX, Knockout.js, Web API and
> much more. Get web development skills now with LearnDevNow -
> 350+ hours of step-by-step video tutorials by Microsoft MVPs and experts.
> SALE $99.99 this month only -- learn more at:
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122812

Re: jamoma~

Thanks, Tim.

This is way cool. I've just been recompiling the whole of Jamoma, and I have a few questions:

1) As far as I can see these objects are not currently being built when running the Tools/build.erb script, right?

2) In the process of looking into this, I now see that I have most of the max externals being built/saved to two locations:

        externals in Builds as well as Implementations/Max/max/externals
        jcom.loader in Builds as well as Implementations/Max/max/extensions
        help files in Builds as well as Implementations/Max/max/help

Is this new behaviour?

I'1m just concerned that we don't get major changes to the build solution until we have 0.5.7 out of the door, as that will require additional building and testing steps before an installer can be announced.

Once we're done with 0.5.7 (the last versioon of Jamoma 0.5 for 32-bit Max) I guess we'll be able to prune lots of externals in preference of jamoma~and jamoma≈, hence making life simpler for ourselves when adding support for 64-bit Max.

Finally: Is jamoma~/jamoma≈ the best name for the new externals? I'm a tad concerned that it might lead to ambiguities in terms of what exactly the term "Jamoma" refers to - these externals or the whole development effort…

On Dec 28, 2012, at 6:26 PM, Timothy Place <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is now also a jamoma≈ version for the audio graph.
>
> This means that we should no longer need to create individual externals (and their projects) for each and every object that we want to use in Max for msp or the audio graph.  That can still be done for special cases, but the vast majority of cases can now be used in Max "for free" once you create the DSP extension.
>
> best,
>
> +1m
>

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Nathan Wolek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sweet!
>
> --Nathan Wolek
>
> On 27. des. 2012, at 18:33, Timothy Place <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

tap

Re: jamoma~

tap
On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Tim.

This is way cool. I've just been recompiling the whole of Jamoma, and I have a few questions:

1) As far as I can see these objects are not currently being built when running the Tools/build.erb script, right?

They are built for me when I run that script.

2) In the process of looking into this, I now see that I have most of the max externals being built/saved to two locations:

        externals in Builds as well as Implementations/Max/max/externals
        jcom.loader in Builds as well as Implementations/Max/max/extensions
        help files in Builds as well as Implementations/Max/max/help

Is this new behaviour?

Yes.  Two parts:

1.  The new objects in Implementations/Max build here and/or live here under version control.

2.  The old objects in Core are copied here by the build script so that everything can be consolidated in one place without altering the old projects in Core.

I'1m just concerned that we don't get major changes to the build solution until we have 0.5.7 out of the door, as that will require additional building and testing steps before an installer can be announced.

This is true.  For that reason, I moved only jcom.clip~ over from Core (an object that serves as a simple example but is otherwise useless).  I think everything else should stay in Core until after 0.5.7 is released.

The new objects in Implementations/Max do not, in my opinion, need to be included in 0.5.7.  So no new work on the installer/scripts need to account for these.

Once we're done with 0.5.7 (the last versioon of Jamoma 0.5 for 32-bit Max) I guess we'll be able to prune lots of externals in preference of jamoma~and jamoma≈, hence making life simpler for ourselves when adding support for 64-bit Max.

I hope so.  I also plan to make jamoma and jamoma# objects.

Finally: Is jamoma~/jamoma≈ the best name for the new externals? I'm a tad concerned that it might lead to ambiguities in terms of what exactly the term "Jamoma" refers to - these externals or the whole development effort…

I don't share the concern, but if you have some proposals we could naturally discuss it.

Takk!
  Tim

On Dec 28, 2012, at 6:26 PM, Timothy Place <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is now also a jamoma≈ version for the audio graph.
>
> This means that we should no longer need to create individual externals (and their projects) for each and every object that we want to use in Max for msp or the audio graph.  That can still be done for special cases, but the vast majority of cases can now be used in Max "for free" once you create the DSP extension.
>
> best,
>
> +1m
>

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Nathan Wolek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sweet!
>
> --Nathan Wolek
>
> On 27. des. 2012, at 18:33, Timothy Place <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Here is a screenshot from my latest check-in.

> Master HTML5, CSS3, ASP.NET, MVC, AJAX, Knockout.js, Web API and
> much more. Get web development skills now with LearnDevNow -
> 350+ hours of step-by-step video tutorials by Microsoft MVPs and experts.
> SALE $99.99 this month only -- learn more at:
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122812_______________________________________________

Re: jamoma~

I do like these names, and i also think we should make a general revision of naming in Jamoma for 0.6....

On 2012-12-28 12:28 PM, Timothy Place wrote:
>     Finally: Is jamoma~/jamoma≈ the best name for the new externals? I'm
>     a tad concerned that it might lead to ambiguities in terms of what
>     exactly the term "Jamoma" refers to - these externals or the whole
>     development effort…
>

> I don't share the concern, but if you have some proposals we could
> naturally discuss it.

I feel that [jamoma~ degrade ....] takes a lot of real estate on the
screen. Therefore I would vouch for something lighter, such as "jcom~"
and "jcom≈".
BTW, is it possible to have autocomplete working for all the classes and
its attributes with the new construction?

cheers,

nils

Re: jamoma~

> 1) As far as I can see these objects are not currently being built when running the Tools/build.erb script, right?
>
> They are built for me when I run that script.

It turned out that I had Core on a different branch.

Cheers,

Re: jamoma~

Nathan Wolek-2
I think the name is fine. People don't seem to be confused by Csound v [csound~] or RTCmix v [rtcmix~]...

--Nathan Wolek

On 28. des. 2012, at 20:02, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finally: Is jamoma~/jamoma≈ the best name for the new externals? I'm a tad concerned that it might lead to ambiguities in terms of what exactly the term "Jamoma" refers to - these externals or the whole development effort…

Re: jamoma~

adrian.g
Administrator
Hi all,

I think using jamoma as a name is a good idea, it can actually help popularise the platform. Let's say someone who never heard of Jamoma opens a patch, which uses a jamoma object. They will immediately read in the console that jamoma... object is missing. The next thing they do will be probably to google jamoma and they will immediately find the website. It would not be as straightforward with a jcom object.

In terms of real estate: jcom is just 2 letters longer then jamoma and in most cases much more space will be taken by arguments\atributes.

Now, maybe I'm getting overexcited, but is it going to be possible to dynamically load classes into jamoma... externals?

best

Adrian

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Nathan Wolek-2 [via Jamoma Forums/Mailing lists] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the name is fine. People don't seem to be confused by Csound v [csound~] or RTCmix v [rtcmix~]...

--Nathan Wolek

On 28. des. 2012, at 20:02, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finally: Is jamoma~/jamoma≈ the best name for the new externals? I'm a tad concerned that it might lead to ambiguities in terms of what exactly the term "Jamoma" refers to - these externals or the whole development effort…

To start a new topic under Jamoma Development, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Jamoma Development, click here.
NAML

Adrian Gierakowski
tap

Re: jamoma~

tap
Hi Nils,

The point about autocompletion is a good one that I had not considered.

Autocompletion for message boxes you create near the object should work (once we have refpages).

More importantly though, the autocompletion of attributes in the object box does not work.  This autocompletion information comes from the refpage, and at the time you are typing into an object box it only knows that you have a jamoma~ object -- it doesn't know more specifically than that and so can't get the information on attributes.

The inspector works fine, just autocompletion in the object box is not going to work.

best,

+1m

On 2012-12-28 12:28 PM, Timothy Place wrote:
>     Finally: Is jamoma~/jamoma≈ the best name for the new externals? I'm
>     a tad concerned that it might lead to ambiguities in terms of what
>     exactly the term "Jamoma" refers to - these externals or the whole
>     development effort…
>

> I don't share the concern, but if you have some proposals we could
> naturally discuss it.

I feel that [jamoma~ degrade ....] takes a lot of real estate on the
screen. Therefore I would vouch for something lighter, such as "jcom~"
and "jcom≈".
BTW, is it possible to have autocomplete working for all the classes and
its attributes with the new construction?

cheers,

nils

tap

Re: jamoma~

tap
Hi Adrian,

The dynamic loading of classes into externals is not supported with how I've written jamoma~/jamoma≈.  We have some objects that dynamically load subsets of objects (e.g. jcom.filter~/filter≈).  However we can't dynamically update the available methods and attributes of a Max object, so there isn't really a good way to dynamically change the internal class.

So...  To be able to properly represent the Jamoma class in a Max object, we need to instantiate a (not dynamic) Max class with the appropriate attributes and messages.

best,
+1m