demo of TTSampleMatrix dimensions

Nathan Wolek-2
Tim:

Here's a demo Ruby script of the interactions between the 2 dimension in TTSampleMatrix.  I would love to hear your theories about this, especially since the C++ code seems to have the mDimensions numbers right when I look at the code:

https://github.com/jamoma/JamomaDSP/commit/a904d95050261781f4b1034de9f4e0d2a63abded

Trond was also going to take a look at this when he got home as well.

--Nathan

Re: demo of TTSampleMatrix dimensions

Timothy Place-2
Yo,

I committed a fix.  The setters were doing the correct thing -- but the getters (upon which the setters rely) were fetching the wrong dimension.

doh!

best,
  Tim

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Nathan Wolek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tim:

Here's a demo Ruby script of the interactions between the 2 dimension in TTSampleMatrix.  I would love to hear your theories about this, especially since the C++ code seems to have the mDimensions numbers right when I look at the code:

https://github.com/jamoma/JamomaDSP/commit/a904d95050261781f4b1034de9f4e0d2a63abded

Trond was also going to take a look at this when he got home as well.

--Nathan

Re: demo of TTSampleMatrix dimensions

Nils Peters
On 12-08-27 5:13 PM, Timothy Place wrote:

> Yo,
>
> I committed a fix.  The setters were doing the correct thing -- but the
> getters (upon which the setters rely) were fetching the wrong dimension.
>
> doh!
>
> best,
>    Tim

and another test that revealed a bug, yeah!!

On Aug 28, 2012, at 2:51 AM, Nils Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
I committed a fix.  The setters were doing the correct thing -- but the
getters (upon which the setters rely) were fetching the wrong dimension.

Oh man, I feel dumb now.  I stared at those get/set methods many times and said "it is 1 here and 1 there".  I see the issue now.  Thanks Tim for spotting that!  I hope the Ruby script helped.

and another test that revealed a bug, yeah!!

Yes AND confirmed the fix.

I posed this question earlier and will ask it again: should such a ruby test be in that "unit" folder?  It seems to be reserved for calling the unit functions defined in the C++ code.  Maybe there should be another folder for demonstrating "issues"?

I really would like to hear other opinions on this, even if just to say "it's fine the way it is, Nathan".

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Nathan Wolek <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Aug 28, 2012, at 2:51 AM, Nils Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
I committed a fix.  The setters were doing the correct thing -- but the
getters (upon which the setters rely) were fetching the wrong dimension.

Oh man, I feel dumb now.  I stared at those get/set methods many times and said "it is 1 here and 1 there".

It could be worse.  You could have been the one that wrote that code ;-).

I see the issue now.  Thanks Tim for spotting that!  I hope the Ruby script helped.

and another test that revealed a bug, yeah!!

Yes AND confirmed the fix.

Yes, it was big help because it made the rinse-repeat cycle much faster.

I posed this question earlier and will ask it again: should such a ruby test be in that "unit" folder?  It seems to be reserved for calling the unit functions defined in the C++ code.  Maybe there should be another folder for demonstrating "issues"?

I really would like to hear other opinions on this, even if just to say "it's fine the way it is, Nathan".

I think of unit tests as anything that is testing the functionality of a single "unit", e.g. TTSampleMatrix.  How it is implemented is of no consequence to me so I have no problem with some unit tests being C++, some being pure Ruby, and others being a mixture or something else entirely.

That's my 2 Kroners,