dbap=.model ported

I have ported the first spatialisation module to 1.0 now. It has been a lot of work, partly to address a bunch of issues that would make it not work out of the box previously, so that Tim would be left sad and frustrated if he opened the help patch, but also because many or most of the larger design decisions have had to be made in the processor developing this model and view.

You are welcome to check out dbap=.model.maxhelp and let me know what you think.

In terms of design decisions, I believe the most important ones are the following:

1) I have decided to embed parameters for source and speaker positions in the model itself rather than keeping them in a separate model. Actually they are models within the model. Modularity seemed a nice idea, but it always resulted in me having to pass source and destination positions from one model to a bunch of others in 0.5.7 in a way that ended up feeling inconvenient. With cue scripts and presets it’s anyway so easy and fast to move e.g. speaker setups from one renderer to another.

This also have the added benefit of being able to store parameters specific to the renderer next to the standard ones such as position.

2) I have made a more generic view named scene=.view.maxpat that displays source and speaker positions using ambimonitor. The design of this one is based on my experience with what interface I actually prefer to look at and monitor in real-world projects.

Two additional features that are not yet implemented, are

a) To be able to provide an argument to the view that sets the size of it. This way I can make it very big, or pretty small.
b) Add a popup menu for choosing to display horisontal only, half-3D or full-3D. This could probably be controlled from an argument to the view as well.

3) In the output=.model I have removed the parameter that sets the number of outputs. Instead this is inferred from the number of channels of the ideograph signal that is passed to the model. We still have to set what output channels to use in this model

One benefit of this, is again that I don’t have to provide the description of the scene setup in more than one place. All this information, relating to layers 3-5 of the layered spatial scene model that we presented at SMC in 2009, is now maintained in one and the same place. The output=.model is now only parameterising information relating to the 2nd layer of that model, which is what this model is meant to deal with.

@Tim: As a small usability test: Could you please open the dbap=.model.maxhelp patch and see if it is intuitive enough that it is straight-forward to get going with it? Thanks!