What's a good workflow for Cmake-generated Xcode projects?

What's a good workflow for Cmake-generated Xcode projects?

I’m wondering what a proper Xcode workflow looks like in the age of Cmake?

The latest suggestion I got was from Jean Michael was:

$ mkdir xcode-files
$ cd xcode-files
$ cmake -GXcode /path/to/the/Jamoma/Root/Folder

That solved the first problem for me - having the Xcode projects located outside of the build folder, so that they are not automatically deleted whenever I do a clean build. But I want more…

The generated Xcode projects are so far not all that useful. E.g. I tried opening Xcode-files/source/j.dbap/j.dbap.xcodeproj, and end up with a couple of problems that i’m unsure about how to approach:

1. The cpp source files are part of the Xcode project, but header files are missing (j.dbap.h and hull2D.h). This means that when editing the cpp files, their counterparts does not show up in the Xcode project

2. I’m unable to compile this project, I get the following compiler errors:

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/xcode-files/source/j.dbap.build/Debug/MaxCommonSyms.build/Objects-normal/i386/commonsyms.o'
clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/xcode-files/library/Debug/libJamomaMax.6.dylib'
clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/xcode-files/JamomaCore/AudioGraph/library/Debug/libJamomaAudioGraph.6.dylib'
clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/xcode-files/JamomaCore/Modular/library/Debug/libJamomaModular.6.dylib'
clang: error: no such file or directory: ‘/Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/xcode-files/JamomaCore/Graph/library/Debug/libJamomaGraph.6.dylib’

3. Provided that I was able to compile, the next step would be to make sure that the updated compiled file is automatically copied to Jamoma package folder, so that I can restart Max and test it out in. When compiling JamomaCore libraries and extensions fro Xcode, they have not seemed to be automatically copied across to the package support folder.

4. Providing that all of the above works, the next step would be to be able to run the debugger in Xcode.

Is there a new “best practise2 that I am missing out on, and if not, is there a way that we can get all of the above fully working?

tap

Re: What's a good workflow for Cmake-generated Xcode projects?

tap
Hi Trond,

1.  It is possible to add header files to projects in the CMakeLists.txt file.  Here is an example:

In that commit to the jamoma2 example app I was adding the headers for the jamoma2 core.  Line 34 assigns to the variable PROJECT_HEADERS an array of files matching the pattern given.  That variable is then passed on line 45 to the command that builds the executable.  For most Jamoma1 stuff this will be a command to build a library rather than an executable.

2. It sounds like maybe you haven't done a build of everything using Xcode?  Your steps were this:

$ mkdir xcode-files
$ cd xcode-files
$ cmake -GXcode /path/to/the/Jamoma/Root/Folder

Following this, you need to open the Xcode project in the "xcode-files" folder and then build the target for everything -- which should in fact build everything.  The process is similar in Jamoma2, but if it isn't clear there then we should figure out how to best communicate it: https://github.com/jamoma/jamoma2/blob/master/README.md

3. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but to clarify: in the "xcode-files" folder heirarchy you should find the package, and this package is where you will want your alias in the Max Packages folder to point.

4. Debugger should work fine at this point.

​Hope this helps!​
Tim

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I’m still not getting this to work, and I believe there are some more wrinkles that need to be ironed out.

1.  It is possible to add header files to projects in the CMakeLists.txt file.  Here is an example:
  https://github.com/jamoma/jamoma2/commit/c8d37c3e289665de6cd6db27f7bbaef41f01ff67

In that commit to the jamoma2 example app I was adding the headers for the jamoma2 core.  Line 34 assigns to the variable PROJECT_HEADERS an array of files matching the pattern given.  That variable is then passed on line 45 to the command that builds the executable.  For most Jamoma1 stuff this will be a command to build a library rather than an executable.

I’m still not sure what this will look like for Max externals. Could you please add the two header files j.dbap.h and hull2D.h to JamomaMax/source/j.dbap/CMakeLists.txt, so that I can use them as a template for updating CMakeLists.txt for other Max externals?

2. It sounds like maybe you haven't done a build of everything using Xcode?  Your steps were this:

$ mkdir xcode-files
$ cd xcode-files
$ cmake -GXcode /path/to/the/Jamoma/Root/Folder

Following this, you need to open the Xcode project in the "xcode-files" folder and then build the target for everything -- which should in fact build everything.  The process is similar in Jamoma2, but if it isn’t clear there then we should figure out how to best communicate it: https://github.com/jamoma/jamoma2/blob/master/README.md

The resulting Xcode project won’ open here. Here are my steps, as I’m starting out from the root of the JamomaMax repository:

$ mkdir xcode-files
$ cd xcode-files
$ cmake -GXcode ../

-- The C compiler identification is AppleClang 6.1.0.6020053
-- The CXX compiler identification is AppleClang 6.1.0.6020053
-- Check for working C compiler using: Xcode
-- Check for working C compiler using: Xcode -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Xcode
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Xcode -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
building on Git rev : 55de875
Git tag : v1.0-beta.1
Git tag length : 7
-- No build type selected, default to Release.
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /usr/local/jamoma/
Configure JamomaCore
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /usr/local/jamoma/
building on Git rev : b107057
Git tag : v1.0-beta.1
Git tag length : 11
building version b107057 with tag v1.0-beta.1
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE
-- Found dl: /usr/lib/libdl.dylib
-- Found PORTAUDIO: /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/JamomaCore/DSP/extensions/AudioEngine/portaudio/libportaudio-jamoma.a
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework
-- Found SNDFILE: /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/JamomaCore/DSP/extensions/SoundfileLib/libsndfile/libsndfile-jamoma.a
Checking /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/JamomaCore/DSP/extensions/SoundfileLib/libsndfile/libsndfile-jamoma.a architecture.
-- Found PORTMIDI: /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/JamomaCore/Graph/extensions/MidiLib/portmidi/libportmidi-jamoma.a
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework
-- Found LibXml2: /usr/lib/libxml2.dylib (found version "2.9.0")
--  Files.h have been found here : /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/Headers
Linking with:
MaxAPI_LIB /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/source/c74support/max-includes/MaxAPI.framework
MaxAudio_LIB /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/source/c74support/msp-includes/MaxAudioAPI.framework
Jitter_LIB /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/source/c74support/jit-includes/JitterAPI.framework
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
— Build files have been written to: /Users/lossius/dev/Jamoma/JamomaMax/xcode-files

$ ls -lsa

total 272
  0 drwxr-xr-x   12 lossius  staff     408 Sep 10 10:36 .
  0 drwxr-xr-x   20 lossius  staff     680 Sep 10 10:36 ..
232 -rw-r--r--    1 lossius  staff  115505 Sep 10 10:36 CMakeCache.txt
  0 drwxr-xr-x   11 lossius  staff     374 Sep 10 10:36 CMakeFiles
  0 drwxr-xr-x   19 lossius  staff     646 Sep 10 10:36 CMakeScripts
 16 -rw-r--r--    1 lossius  staff    4167 Sep 10 10:36 CPackConfig.cmake
 16 -rw-r--r--    1 lossius  staff    4497 Sep 10 10:36 CPackSourceConfig.cmake
  0 drwxr-xr-x   17 lossius  staff     578 Sep 10 10:36 JamomaCore
  0 drwxr-xr-x    3 lossius  staff     102 Sep 10 10:36 JamomaMax.xcodeproj
  8 -rw-r--r--    1 lossius  staff    1859 Sep 10 10:36 cmake_install.cmake
  0 drwxr-xr-x    6 lossius  staff     204 Sep 10 10:36 library
  0 drwxr-xr-x  120 lossius  staff    4080 Sep 10 10:36 source

$ open JamomaMax.xcodeproj/

This starts Xcode, but Xcode does not want to open the project:

If I now do the following

$ cd JamomaCore
$ open JamomaCore.xcodeproj

The I’m able to as you describe above. So this seems to work for JamomaCore but not for JamomaMax.

3. I’m not sure I understand what you are asking, but to clarify: in the "xcode-files" folder heirarchy you should find the package, and this package is where you will want your alias in the Max Packages folder to point.

No, we really do not want to point Max to this folder. If it was all about compiled code, then this would make sense, but the problem is that this folder contains copies rather than the original and versioned Max patchers, help files, javascript, ref pages and so on. What we need instead is that whenever we build, the built externals, libraries, extensions, etc. at the end of the build process are automatically copied to the externals or support folder in JamomaMax/Jamoma. This is being done when running “$ ./build.sh —multi”, but it also ned to be done when building single projects from within Xcode, whether we are compiling projects that belongs to JamomaCore or JamomaMax.

tap

Re: What's a good workflow for Cmake-generated Xcode projects?

tap
The corrupt Xcode project problem is now fixed on master.  Additionally you can use the build script like this:

./build.sh --xcode --clean

(and use whatever other options you want for the package like you normally would do).

I do not know how aliases or copies etc work with CMake, but hopefully someone else will have some insight here.

Tim

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Antoine Villeret
Hi,

The max package (like others) is created by the install target.
But there are some caveat here.
By default the installation prefix is /usr/local.
That means if you don't override it, install target may fail because you need super user privilege to write to that directory, or at least will put Max package in a not so convenient place.
The key is then to modify the insallation directory at CMake configuration step with something like :

cmake .. -G Xcode -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${PWD}/JamomaInstall

Then you will find Max package (with others) in the JamomaInstall folder of your build directory.
If you don't want to install other thing (like JamomaCore package, and JamomaPuredata in the age of Jamoma unmbrella repo) you be interested by this command line, which is used on Travis AFAIR :
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT=JamomaMax -P cmake_install.cmake

this will install only the JamomaMax package.
And you can override its destination with JAMOMAMAX_INSTALL_FOLDER variable.
But you may need to set it at the first cmake call (don't remember why).
Please note that I never tried to set JAMOMAMAX_INSTALL_FOLDER to the repo's Jamoma folder.
And since CMake will use this directory as a source and destination for copying, I don't know if it can work.

Btw, this is still not very convenient to have the package folder outside the repo and you may want to copy it to the repo folder and load that one in Max.
So you can work on help file for example and see the changes in your favorite Git gui.
This last step of copying the package in the repo folder is not handled by CMake.
You have to do it by yourself.
But since several of you need it, someone create a script (build.sh) that does it.

So if you want to understand all the background of CMake, feel free to do it by hand.
Or you may just want to use the script Tim mentioned.

Best

Antoine

--
do it yourself
http://antoine.villeret.free.fr

[...]

Concerning the missing headers in Xcode project,

adding them to PROJECT_SRCS should be enough.
Could test it and spread the change over all the externals CMakelists.txt where needed ?

Thanks

Antoine