Update on how it's all working now

Hi Nils and Tim,

Thanks a lot for helping out yesterday. Here's the current status this morning, with some substantial progress, but no quite there yet:

On my own laptop almost everything seems to be up to speed again:

- Everything compiles again, as Development and Deployment
- From my limited testing so far it also seems to work in Max, using Development as well as Deployment.
- I'm able to make an installer again
- The only problem is that maxhelp files are no longer copied to the Builds/MaxMSP folder as part of the build process.

When installing on another laptop with OSX 10.6.8 and Max 5.1.9, but no Xcode or particular GCC stuff installed, it partly works:problems:

- The installer manage to install Jamoma
- Checking /usr/local/jamoma after the install, I see that all frameworks and extensions have been properly installed, as has the symlinks in /usr/local/lib.

And here are the issues that ain't working yet, or no longer working the way I'd like them to:

- At the end of the installer, I am now forced to log out from my account and then log back in. This is new and I'm not sure why and when this has been introduced, and I'd like to prevent having to quit all other programs and log out and back in if possible. Could this be caused by the addition of the TextMate OSC for Jamoma bundle to the installer? If so I would prefer that the bundle was visible in the folder of the installer disk image, but not automatically installed. You anyway just have to double-click it in order to install it in textMate, so I don't really consider it as being important to have as a part of the installer.

- And the more important issue: Jamoma doesn't work when using the installer. When starting Max I get the following error:

jcom.loader: unable to load object bundle executable
 2012-01-10 08:34:34.547 MaxMSP[1384:207] Error loading /Applications/Max5/Cycling '74/extensions/jcom.loader.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jcom.loader:  dlopen(/Applications/Max5/Cycling '74/extensions/jcom.loader.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jcom.loader, 262): Symbol not fou
 nd: __ZNKSt5ctypeIcE13_M_widen_initEv
   Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/JamomaFoundation.dylib
   Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
  in /usr/local/lib/JamomaFoundation.dylib

There's no additional info on Console.

It's very hard for me to say exactly what is causing this, and the error message isn't of much help. As jcom.laoder is working in Max 5.1.9 on the computer where it was built, I can imagine three possible reasons (but these are all wild guesses based on speculations on what might differ between the two computers):

- Somehow the makefiles for Deployment still cause builds to be specific to the computer they are built on.
- Using gcc 4.6.2 for building cause them to be incompatible with a computer that don't have gcc 4.6.2 compiler installed.
- Building on a OSX Lion computer cause the installer to be incompatible with Snow Leopard.

Do you have any idea what can be done to solve this issue, Tim?

And again, thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Timothy Place-2
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:26 AM, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ain't  --  have you been hanging out with people from Texas?

;-)

[...]

I run the following in the terminal to get a list of dependencies in a binary on the Mac:
    otool -l /usr/local/jamoma/lib/JamomaFoundation.dylib

Then I searched the output for "libstdc++" and this is the info it has:
    Load command 11
              cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
          cmdsize 72
             name /usr/local/gcc46_64/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (offset 24)
       time stamp 2 Wed Dec 31 18:00:02 1969
          current version 7.16.0
    compatibility version 7.0.0

This says that the 11th lib is a dylib that it loads and it gives the path at which it should be located.  If you've installed my build of GCC 4.6 then this will be present (your dev machine) otherwise it will not be present (the other machine).  When it can't find it, it tries to look in /usr/lib and doesn't find it there either -- and this second attempt is what Max is reporting (but saying the lib isn't in /usr/lib wasn't enough information and was misleading).

Another note, just to be thorough: The Max extern would be looking in /usr/local/gcc46_32 rather than /usr/local/gcc46_64 because it is a 32-bit application (unlike the terminal on a 64-bit machine).

So there are (at least) 4 options:

1.  Install GCC 4.6 on this "deployment" machine -- not a good long term solution, but the easiest right now if you are in a hurry

2.  Build with GCC 4.2 -- not a good long term solution because Apple's GCC 4.2 is deprecated and in the middle of being phased-out.  It also limits us in several ways.  It could work as a short term workaround, however.

3.  Change our projects to use static linking to the C and C++ standard libraries.  This will balloon the binary sizes, but it is the approach we use on Windows to deal with this problem (on Windows the problem is a much more heinous situation, but it's mostly the same thing).

4.  Add the dylibs from the following folders to the installer:
    /usr/local/gcc46_32/lib/
    /usr/local/gcc46_64/lib/

4a.  Modify the 2 libs above, copy them to /usr/local/jamoma/lib, and link to them there, then include them in the installer from this other location.

I'm not certain if we need all of the dylbs in those folders or just libgcc_s.1.dylib and libstdc++.6.dylib.  We could include them all if we want to be safe.

To summarize, the short-term options are 1 & 2.  The longer term options are 3 & 4.  Option 4 should be pretty easy, so I guess that gets my vote.

best,
  Tim

And again, thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Thanks a lot for all you help, Tim!

Having run the gcc installer, Jamoma now loads properly. Later today I'll add an issue to the tracker that we need to find a more permanent solution to this, as we won't be able to distribute installers for Jamoma again until this is sorted out.

I'll spend the evening trying out the performance patch with this version of Jamoma, and see if there are more issues coming up, but I believe I'm through with hurdles caused by the change of location for Support.

Greetings from Dale in Sunnfjord, a picturesque valley at the west-coast of Norway that could be straight out of a Tolkien story.

...whistling " It Ain't Necessarily So" by Gershwin…

;-)

On Jan 10, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Timothy Place wrote:

> [...]
>
> 4.  Add the dylibs from the following folders to the installer:
>     /usr/local/gcc46_32/lib/
>     /usr/local/gcc46_64/lib/
>
> 4a.  Modify the 2 libs above, copy them to /usr/local/jamoma/lib, and link to them there, then include them in the installer from this other location.
>
> I'm not certain if we need all of the dylbs in those folders or just libgcc_s.1.dylib and libstdc++.6.dylib.  We could include them all if we want to be safe.
>
> To summarize, the short-term options are 1 & 2.  The longer term options are 3 & 4.  Option 4 should be pretty easy, so I guess that gets my vote.

Nils Peters
Hi Trond,

On 12-01-10 2:26 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
> And here are the issues that ain't working yet, or no longer working the way I'd like them to:
>
> - At the end of the installer, I am now forced to log out from my account and then log back in. This is new and I'm not sure why and when this has been introduced, and I'd like to prevent having to quit all other programs and log out and back in if possible. Could this be caused by the addition of the TextMate OSC for Jamoma bundle to the installer? If so I would prefer that the bundle was visible in the folder of the installer disk image, but not automatically installed. You anyway just have to double-click it in order to install it in textMate, so I don't really consider it as being important to have as a part of the installer.

I just pushed a fix for the logout issue. Would you mind trying it out?

best,

Nils

On 12-01-10 7:40 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
> Thanks a lot for all you help, Tim!
>
> Having run the gcc installer, Jamoma now loads properly. Later today I'll add an issue to the tracker that we need to find a more permanent solution to this, as we won't be able to distribute installers for Jamoma again until this is sorted out.

I guess when an installer is made with ICC, there may be dependencies to
ICC libs we don't know yet....
I'll investigate this.

best,

Nils

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Nils Peters
Hi,

With my ICC build, I was just running
otool -l /usr/local/jamoma/lib/JamomaFoundation.dylib

here is the interesting part of the output:

Load command 9
           cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
       cmdsize 56
          name /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (offset 24)
    time stamp 2 Wed Dec 31 16:00:02 1969
       current version 7.9.0
compatibility version 7.0.0
Load command 10
           cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
       cmdsize 56
          name /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (offset 24)
    time stamp 2 Wed Dec 31 16:00:02 1969
       current version 830.0.0
compatibility version 1.0.0

compared to Trond's and Tim's GCC46 build, ICC also uses
libstdc++.6.dylib and libgcc_s.1.dylib.
However, the paths are different.

best,

Nils

On 12-01-10 8:40 AM, Nils Peters wrote:

> Hi Trond,
>
> On 12-01-10 7:40 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for all you help, Tim!
>>
>> Having run the gcc installer, Jamoma now loads properly. Later today I'll add an issue to the tracker that we need to find a more permanent solution to this, as we won't be able to distribute installers for Jamoma again until this is sorted out.
>
> I guess when an installer is made with ICC, there may be dependencies to
> ICC libs we don't know yet....
> I'll investigate this.
>
> best,
>
> Nils

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Timothy Place-2
Interesting.  I guess ICC is just using the system libs.

best,
  Tim

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Nils Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

With my ICC build, I was just running
otool -l /usr/local/jamoma/lib/JamomaFoundation.dylib

here is the interesting part of the output:

Load command 9
          cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
      cmdsize 56
         name /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (offset 24)
   time stamp 2 Wed Dec 31 16:00:02 1969
      current version 7.9.0
compatibility version 7.0.0
Load command 10
          cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
      cmdsize 56
         name /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (offset 24)
   time stamp 2 Wed Dec 31 16:00:02 1969
      current version 830.0.0
compatibility version 1.0.0

compared to Trond's and Tim's GCC46 build, ICC also uses
libstdc++.6.dylib and libgcc_s.1.dylib.
However, the paths are different.

best,

Nils

On 12-01-10 8:40 AM, Nils Peters wrote:
> Hi Trond,
>
> On 12-01-10 7:40 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for all you help, Tim!
>>
>> Having run the gcc installer, Jamoma now loads properly. Later today I'll add an issue to the tracker that we need to find a more permanent solution to this, as we won't be able to distribute installers for Jamoma again until this is sorted out.
>
> I guess when an installer is made with ICC, there may be dependencies to
> ICC libs we don't know yet....
> I'll investigate this.
>
> best,
>
> Nils

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Before letting new installers loose on the world, I can test them at one of the minima's at BEK to ensure that they work.

I ended up installing gcc 4.6.2 on the laptop I'm using for the stage production, and it seems to work fine now. It remains to test it for an extended period of time and with the audio card that we are actually using, but I'm looking forward to doing so tomorrow. The TextMate bundle has already proven itself to be a huge benefit in aiding improved handling of large cue files.

Running the patch with the new version of Jamoma I see a crash caused by jcom.pack free method when closing the patch. I'll post the crash log sometime tomorrow, I'm to tired right now, but this crash isn't critical to what we're working on at the moment.

Cheers,
Trond

On 12-01-10 11:48 AM, Timothy Place wrote:
> Interesting.  I guess ICC is just using the system libs.
>
> best,
>    Tim

yes, maybe GCC46 can be set up to do this too ?

--nils

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Yes,

I'll do that later tonight. Thanks Nils!

Cheers,
Trond

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Nils Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12-01-10 11:48 AM, Timothy Place wrote:
> Interesting.  I guess ICC is just using the system libs.
>
> best,
>    Tim

yes, maybe GCC46 can be set up to do this too ?

Maybe.  I haven't found anything indicating that it can be done.  Then there is the issue of _should_ it be done.  One of the benefits of GCC 4.6 is that we can use the C++0x standard which requires the newer libs.

I think the first experiment we should try is just adding the "-static" option to the GCC command and see how things turn out.

best,

Re: Update on how it's all working now

Nils Peters
Hi Trond,

On 12-01-10 2:26 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
> - The only problem is that maxhelp files are no longer copied to the Builds/MaxMSP folder as part of the build process.

I just pushed a fix to the support project.

cheers,

Nils