The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

I’m currently struggling to figure out how to set highlight colours for a bunch of models (or their views) in my patch. This leads to a number of questions.

1) I notice that if I send the message “ui:highlight red” to the inlet of the view, I get the desired highlighting. That’s expected.

2) I notice that if I instead send the message “ui:highlight red” to the appropriate inlet of the model, the view does not get highlighted. This probably implies that the highlight is an attribute that is considered to belong to the view, not the model. I can se arguments for both kinds of thinking here, but I’ll leave it as is for the time being.

Now I try to figure out what j.send address to use to achieve the same result, and I notice a bunch of issues. The view that I want to highlight belongs to a model nested within another model. Below is a very similar example using standard models and views. The output~ model embeds several other models, including record and limiter. The below patch contains a view for output~. That in turn contains a nested view of the limiter as a panel. In addition I’m making a separate view for the record model embedded in output:

<pre><code>
----------begin_max5_patcher----------
1168.3oc6Y0zjZiCD8L7qPkOksJBwxFO1jKIop8vdYutWRsUJgs.zL1RTRxC
yroR9su5KCZ.rwvvP3PNL3YZKqt6mduta778gCBlwdBKB.eD7UvfAee3fAFS
ZCCb+8ffJzS4kHgYYA4rpJLUFLxdOI9Iow9exvB.kIAqY7GZt6JNVnVLRRXz
uww4RqmhfQiCGAxBGmLBDp+U0Gf+08Pz5JBsDKM9Ct0HqV1XMrY+Qx7kD5Bu
8FNcpdWggP89BsdJZh29SJLALa18uOZZSjJjOWhM1arLqd1LqIn1vOFNT+wn
dBSUXg.s.uGLUS93RxhkkpejfEbLldDrZJTmNYINTpCnJ5fPErcnJygTFHxc
IJpEjJqINs6s74UX6tDDrY8df3Y.Yswr9K1ZfjAJX.4Rh.TKTYA39wJvp3SM
KtjPw4rZpbGf3UPjhiM.RR3DCJYIRwos.Oo+RIRTFEeTMmQskXyiKLSJBF6s
4Sy5hIAm7lyj5El8Ltrjs9HnV1cucflU941aXXRmf1c2FfVuHZFtPT5j2NhV
TZZOHZw2FXFiinaWykfy3ReX3zNye3urR1+CAuVbDdRRRjsvZO3ImbwaGN45
9GYuzRs6My.LmQkyQ4XeOte4b8pDj+ytJEA7BBa+Mq.WFbY.fDSwkzdj+YW8
7elIfw7lsDQUCNZ3Gla6Wj4QES5QhfLiTRjO6GYr4yEXW1tG6ojk+.tnfiVH
x4rxRezJujj+fbImUuXoucLEo5Sub+GvdiG2+FyVToNwdgEFuPkW9mMGl8Gt
gzGGZtjdTxOhuvMotVPupV9yOn1OkCC7etSp2yjL8kCEAd7ijdTFghprrDaD
8yw5yswpCckuOmBK0J8QcieIRb0NYdvHPvH8GMHwLTIhpnt6ZujTodb9d1cH
2tlEHYM2wD67vPqB1jzegSP95Vuyf31OCRhhMUwm3DovNm+Nr0SAhtRhVe5e
frBwUQmJy+lk85SI804g8SmGcV571ZO9gKSyPG.lZ6BZq32F7812KjhWq7zd
458i0zDwJEdC97bRo5HQQJERftzQoxDiWgj.CgG74B7J4RPzIzCnGDLnYzxX
3ccRvhZGg1ic85PpiItemt3werq1zZsQPu6hb0cbVuVZ2ItNqcqcgQ+V61B.
FmL43hWXxMm3USytFZ23otYDR6jfkc0zt+dzMUCay2aYh2vavzjSe5sydrsX
6WB9f91Ol82Le1xoLOmKVesyy8R80Njlu.VfoXNIGfpKHLf0mtFjqIJQ0rZk
1CPnfJjPoAAaGSaDv0PXD.QK.11.5WPHxP6HXw38T0M4j0AalnrixZ8siwwe
YqSbML5rf2I9xdNdQeySYdIo67t9MAp19KO6DrZddiOad8ufswZAVHIzMmfe
cSX6slkjhBL0WOUPDZ0nIOObKo9FN52g3QCmjqW3b2sU3D2ivAd8BG3sU3jz
mvI65EO8QZoGg7JEOQ843J5JFOQ8IdBOy3wVYDsZ0iXtvsmlPQ0+5dlYbfzQ
l+jPYamNP88Mzi1v15CUCdUIeopdeM2VW9oLac7.ceFNsl39W.o77OF9+v36
9u.
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
</code></pre>

3) The first thing I notice is that the address of the record view is not what I expected. The output view has the address output~(view), and the limiter view has the address output~/limiter(view). I would expect the record view to have the address “output~/record(view)”, but instead it has the address record~(view). As such the view seems to take its auto-generates name not from the address of the model that it is linked to, but rather from the class of model (the file name of the model) that it is linked to.

I believe this should be changed.

4) I have tried a number of options to control the highlight colour using j.send, but for the best of me I’m not able to figure out how to do this. Here are some of the options I have tried:

j.send output~(view):highlight:ui red
j.send output~(view)/highlight:ui red
j.send output~:highlight:ui red
j.send output~/highlight:ui red
j.send /output~(view):highlight:ui red
j.send /output~(view)/highlight:ui red
j.send /output~:highlight:ui red
j.send /output~/highlight:ui red

What’s the correct way of doing this?

5) On a different note I’m growing less and less fond of the “:” namespace divider. Although this is something that was useful for us initially in order to solve implementation challenges, I feel that these are problems that we should sort out without bothering the user. As a user I don’t want to have to think about when to use slash and when to use colon.

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

Pascal Baltazar-5

On 23 Nov 2014, at 13:36, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:

5) On a different note I’m growing less and less fond of the “:” namespace divider. Although this is something that was useful for us initially in order to solve implementation challenges, I feel that these are problems that we should sort out without bothering the user. As a user I don’t want to have to think about when to use slash and when to use colon.

I completely agree with this, and have started to think about it (I have collected some of these thoughts in a mail to the list called : attributes in 0.7 ? on may 8th 2014)

This should be done in 0.7 (and probably will be the central change of it) IMHO.
Also, I think that the main problem for that is that :value is treated as the other attributes, while it should treated differently (maybe be the only property of a node… and all other attributes would be sub-nodes.. not sure about this, and I guess it requires a lot of collective thinking… food for thought for the next workshop once 0.6 is released, I gues...)

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

On 23 Nov 2014, at 13:36, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:

2) I notice that if I instead send the message “ui:highlight red” to the appropriate inlet of the model, the view does not get highlighted. This probably implies that the highlight is an attribute that is considered to belong to the view, not the model. I can se arguments for both kinds of thinking here, but I’ll leave it as is for the time being.

For me, this is a completely normal behavior (the aspect of the view has nothing to do with the model… IMHO), and this is also why we initially conceived views as being models on their own.

jln

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

jln
Hi Trond,

Julien

<pre><code>
----------begin_max5_patcher----------
1276.3oc6YsrjhaCEcM8WgJuJoJFZK+DlMYlpxhrIayloRMkvV.paaIJK4lt
yTS91idAH.C1PyP6N0rnMUewHetm6Cctxe6tAdSYOi4dfOB9BXvfuc2fAZSJ
CCr++.uRzyYEHt917JwbNZN1an46D3mEZ6TFciQVsn.KDurDaVYOOvea+pkU
XNlJPBBi90JblvbGIAgi7GBhSRUe3aur4WQx0OC1zG9.Lc8SYIRjsfPmuyxD
3rLg5qJSaVHZcIgJwl1WB1ZzfXsUn0JW7RgF+ddJCe+t6TWF9JoIVEhN+UPT
wIwcknlbBhJNIxYYhF2+HpJb9qfkBh5HKEDdJVZmrxfIiheqXIJdkDsGPROL
R584f6kPlUk+u+xSD7pe89ZxGWPlunP9mnCbnKaD0Naj3qyVfiCOcRC7MHo4
U1DZrNSIA52Zske6Mghh+eaSHKCk32Z4UZ68fr7z62dPNtaGJertaOtYh74s
rVbEZlzAxXhsWRvaWujLVYoLG+.532YXNfxDfUrpG8Zv8N09qvI53KzGp8On
w+hNO+y2ZcZ8zoFG7Ga5tanFLuBiomY.e7IXjwVBQyD1OdaR+OV.+OXq.BFH
mADKHbPMW5..SQwus9lKHT4Vs0TgKHcofS0vKLznN0ORSEljB09CuaRJ539q
t6TdpVhAvPESDaXhI8vc.1w6eAWTvVcl9eRq0DV2G5G2y8+KH5G1dzOHM8cQ
zuyhlb8eXqQeq6C8mz+5H9WRE.7F15aR6dkcGOiT3fKrG2LFULCkcrtbN2Em
7Ol6RlEcEIf+jkiKZf.N4Fcw5h5z2S9+TsefqVujHpT3iV0+AiUoTE9DgSlR
JHhWbQFa1LN1RBGLSPAK6QbddEZNOqhUT35lYEjrGEKpX0yW3ZGSQxs3Vb3O
v7EOc3WLcdoLhsiE4bwR+xwx4Oty1wAC80ejdjochauWubLm3lWGT0b6Aw4Y
UfaGq2qkTGTI1Nsh9P.FohPijgWIH7ZtowEjgTKqOpOZyOhp1QkQtSePAtbO
ORcCCUWV6gSQEHpLAee6EjR4Ou5.6VFYeybjntxlu1jvTe2ZkMD1mqHnh1GR
AFYqkgcaHkknJ4SPh9uZxScS91MPD1Pcte2pyCtn57isQ28moPeX6rV5jd6X
tpD.9RIeC9zLRgLPIS23Bfp0QgzDqpDI.5DdvmxwKEK.AGmeNLs2gm5vHvPn
V1WHL4RFAN7pvTWmhayAFreso8XDrEz6eS6bvkMKgJ30T6Fj7yZ283y3NjSN
4cWwqJA5pV6BG2grqPSsqe5aWs6OktcJoaPyQsD4HdClFejC0uU0aglIVabg
NT9VK51bQbi54rKyOF8b6VesWRymAywTbEICfpyILfAI1MHWQjEUSqk0d.BE
Th3xZPvVAXCA1V8CAHZNvzfWcRZHcZGAyGc36iv5olGvFshmSasjKZWB6gRF
YGV8Z0uq8l95Gf9zD26kuqAox9twNNqtJaMAr90fC1hybLWPnahfeY6qyy4l
VPxywT2BpbBWUNpowl2Spy3YR+BOp2qauhe76BdtYvIsWglndEZBB5Bb7uc3
A1E7b63GkxnVwC7Fhm3tfmw2N7zk3E71Amv9EbR5.bhucvIpWAmftTakbgvw
H5.sb4S3JtcI0HQJM7AlVoc5P8+RnrsBukCoqlZvQkpTrqTIkPJiptxH444w
FAXdJIbUzZhUWp7I+869OFQgb0C
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
</code></pre>

On dimanche, nov. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]>, wrote:
4) I have tried a number of options to control the highlight colour using j.send, but for the best of me I’m not able to figure out how to do this. Here are some of the options I have tried:

j.send output~(view):highlight:ui red
j.send output~(view)/highlight:ui red
j.send output~:highlight:ui red
j.send output~/highlight:ui red
j.send /output~(view):highlight:ui red
j.send /output~(view)/highlight:ui red
j.send /output~:highlight:ui red
j.send /output~/highlight:ui red

What’s the correct way of doing this?

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

> On 23 Nov 2014, at 14:57, Pascal Baltazar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 23 Nov 2014, at 13:36, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2) I notice that if I instead send the message “ui:highlight red” to the appropriate inlet of the model, the view does not get highlighted. This probably implies that the highlight is an attribute that is considered to belong to the view, not the model. I can se arguments for both kinds of thinking here, but I’ll leave it as is for the time being.
>
> For me, this is a completely normal behavior (the aspect of the view has nothing to do with the model… IMHO), and this is also why we initially conceived views as being models on their own.

Yes. as I said I can see arguments both ways here, and I don’t feel that there’s a need for changing or considering this further at the time being. Just for the record, the argument for making it part of the model would be that I could imagine a scenario where I would want to highlight several views for the same model with the same colour. One common example from DAWs is when a track is given a particular colour. This colour will show up in the track window as well as in the mixer window.

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

Thanks, Julien,

Is there a way to set the names of the views (as models)? As an example I would much prefer a view to be named “animation/videoplane” than “gl_videoplane(view).2”.

> On 23 Nov 2014, at 15:18, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi Trond,

> Best,
> Julien
>
> <pre><code>
> ----------begin_max5_patcher----------
> 1276.3oc6YsrjhaCEcM8WgJuJoJFZK+DlMYlpxhrIayloRMkvV.paaIJK4lt
> yTS91idAH.C1PyP6N0rnMUewHetm6Cctxe6tAdSYOi4dfOB9BXvfuc2fAZSJ
> CCr++.uRzyYEHt917JwbNZN1an46D3mEZ6TFciQVsn.KDurDaVYOOvea+pkU
> XNlJPBBi90JblvbGIAgi7GBhSRUe3aur4WQx0OC1zG9.Lc8SYIRjsfPmuyxD
> 3rLg5qJSaVHZcIgJwl1WB1ZzfXsUn0JW7RgF+ddJCe+t6TWF9JoIVEhN+UPT
> wIwcknlbBhJNIxYYhF2+HpJb9qfkBh5HKEDdJVZmrxfIiheqXIJdkDsGPROL
> R584f6kPlUk+u+xSD7pe89ZxGWPlunP9mnCbnKaD0Naj3qyVfiCOcRC7MHo4
> U1DZrNSIA52Zske6Mghh+eaSHKCk32Z4UZ68fr7z62dPNtaGJertaOtYh74s
> rVbEZlzAxXhsWRvaWujLVYoLG+.532YXNfxDfUrpG8Zv8N09qvI53KzGp8On
> w+hNO+y2ZcZ8zoFG7Ga5tanFLuBiomY.e7IXjwVBQyD1OdaR+OV.+OXq.BFH
> mADKHbPMW5..SQwus9lKHT4Vs0TgKHcofS0vKLznN0ORSEljB09CuaRJ539q
> t6TdpVhAvPESDaXhI8vc.1w6eAWTvVcl9eRq0DV2G5G2y8+KH5G1dzOHM8cQ
> zuyhlb8eXqQeq6C8mz+5H9WRE.7F15aR6dkcGOiT3fKrG2LFULCkcrtbN2Em
> 7Ol6RlEcEIf+jkiKZf.N4Fcw5h5z2S9+TsefqVujHpT3iV0+AiUoTE9DgSlR
> JHhWbQFa1LN1RBGLSPAK6QbddEZNOqhUT35lYEjrGEKpX0yW3ZGSQxs3Vb3O
> v7EOc3WLcdoLhsiE4bwR+xwx4Oty1wAC80ejdjochauWubLm3lWGT0b6Aw4Y
> UfaGq2qkTGTI1Nsh9P.FohPijgWIH7ZtowEjgTKqOpOZyOhp1QkQtSePAtbO
> ORcCCUWV6gSQEHpLAee6EjR4Ou5.6VFYeybjntxlu1jvTe2ZkMD1mqHnh1GR
> AFYqkgcaHkknJ4SPh9uZxScS91MPD1Pcte2pyCtn57isQ28moPeX6rV5jd6X
> tpD.9RIeC9zLRgLPIS23Bfp0QgzDqpDI.5DdvmxwKEK.AGmeNLs2gm5vHvPn
> V1WHL4RFAN7pvTWmhayAFreso8XDrEz6eS6bvkMKgJ30T6Fj7yZ283y3NjSN
> 4cWwqJA5pV6BG2grqPSsqe5aWs6OktcJoaPyQsD4HdClFejC0uU0aglIVabg
> NT9VK51bQbi54rKyOF8b6VesWRymAywTbEICfpyILfAI1MHWQjEUSqk0d.BE
> Th3xZPvVAXCA1V8CAHZNvzfWcRZHcZGAyGc36iv5olGvFshmSasjKZWB6gRF
> YGV8Z0uq8l95Gf9zD26kuqAox9twNNqtJaMAr90fC1hybLWPnahfeY6qyy4l
> VPxywT2BpbBWUNpowl2Spy3YR+BOp2qauhe76BdtYvIsWglndEZBB5Bb7uc3
> A1E7b63GkxnVwC7Fhm3tfmw2N7zk3E71Amv9EbR5.bhucvIpWAmftTakbgvw
> H5.sb4S3JtcI0HQJM7AlVoc5P8+RnrsBukCoqlZvQkpTrqTIkPJiptxH444w
> FAXdJIbUzZhUWp7I+869OFQgb0C
> -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
> </code></pre>
>
> On dimanche, nov. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> 4) I have tried a number of options to control the highlight colour using j.send, but for the best of me I’m not able to figure out how to do this. Here are some of the options I have tried:
>
> j.send output~(view):highlight:ui red
> j.send output~(view)/highlight:ui red
> j.send output~:highlight:ui red
> j.send output~/highlight:ui red
> j.send /output~(view):highlight:ui red
> j.send /output~(view)/highlight:ui red
> j.send /output~:highlight:ui red
> j.send /output~/highlight:ui red
>
> What’s the correct way of doing this?

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

Pascal Baltazar-5
AFAIK you can do that with the second argument
I’m not sure you can change later, though…

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org

jln

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

jln

Indeed, setting a name as a second arg works.

Best,
Julien

On lundi, nov. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Pascal Baltazar <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> [...]

>> A1E7b63GkxnVwC7Fhm3tfmw2N7zk3E71Amv9EbR5.bhucvIpWAmftTakbgvw
>> H5.sb4S3JtcI0HQJM7AlVoc5P8+RnrsBukCoqlZvQkpTrqTIkPJiptxH444w
>> FAXdJIbUzZhUWp7I+869OFQgb0C
>> -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
>>

>> On dimanche, nov. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Trond Lossius , wrote:
>> 4) I have tried a number of options to control the highlight colour using j.send, but for the best of me I’m not able to figure out how to do this. Here are some of the options I have tried:
>>
>> j.send output~(view):highlight:ui red
>> j.send output~(view)/highlight:ui red
>> j.send output~:highlight:ui red
>> j.send output~/highlight:ui red
>> j.send /output~(view):highlight:ui red
>> j.send /output~(view)/highlight:ui red
>> j.send /output~:highlight:ui red
>> j.send /output~/highlight:ui red
>>
>> What’s the correct way of doing this?

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

Théo de la Hogue-2
I'm also agree that is not clear.
but in the same time we have to keep in mind that it is strongly different as under /foo/bar there is some processing that handles any incoming value to process ramp, unit, clip, … (which is consuming cpu and takes place in RAM) while under something like /foo:bar you directly read/write a value without any processing.

One idea would be to mix the TTAttribute class and the (bad named) TTData class as TTAttribute defines properties which are really close to the TTData attributes …

Le 23 nov. 2014 à 14:55, Pascal Baltazar <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

to do this I would use namespace explorer and filtering features to retreive all model:address which are equals to /foo.
of course this could be done into the code afterward but it could be prototyped in Max first.

Le 24 nov. 2014 à 08:59, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>> On 23 Nov 2014, at 14:57, Pascal Baltazar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 23 Nov 2014, at 13:36, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> 2) I notice that if I instead send the message “ui:highlight red” to the appropriate inlet of the model, the view does not get highlighted. This probably implies that the highlight is an attribute that is considered to belong to the view, not the model. I can se arguments for both kinds of thinking here, but I’ll leave it as is for the time being.
>>
>> For me, this is a completely normal behavior (the aspect of the view has nothing to do with the model… IMHO), and this is also why we initially conceived views as being models on their own.
>
> Yes. as I said I can see arguments both ways here, and I don’t feel that there’s a need for changing or considering this further at the time being. Just for the record, the argument for making it part of the model would be that I could imagine a scenario where I would want to highlight several views for the same model with the same colour. One common example from DAWs is when a track is given a particular colour. This colour will show up in the track window as well as in the mixer window.
>
> Best,

Re: The name address of views, and how to set the highlight colour using j.send

Théo de la Hogue-2
you can't rename a view afterward (but this is the same for a model).