Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

I’m currently trying to intorduce Max and i-score (v.3) to each other at my laptop, and have limited success.  Here are the steps that I do:

1) Start Max
2) Start i-score
3) Open the MinuitInterface.maxhelp patch from master branch of the minuit repository
4I Create a new minuit device in i-score, using all the default settings
5) Refresh namespace of device in i-score

This brings up a warning dialog box with the following message:

        Unable to refresh the device: MinuitDevice.
        Cause: namespace empty after the update

I had a debugging session with Jean Michael yesterday, and it worked for him with exact same version of Jamoma and i-score, and the same steps, and it worked for him.

We also tried connecting from i-score on my laptop to max at his computer. That worked.

Furthermore we tried to connect from i-score at his computer to Max at mine, with no love.

In the end we made a “wanna-be-minuit” patch in Max as seen below that mimics what the communication is supposed to look like. With this patch I’m able to refresh the namespace in i-score. This leads me to suspect that the problem is with minuit in Max/Jamoma rather than being an issue with i-score.

@Theo: Would you have the time for a Skype session with me to see if we can manage to track the issue down?

Ny current hunch is that there might be Minuit frameworks left behind from Jamoma 0.5.7 in /usr/lib or similar that might be interfering, but this is just a wild guess.

<pre><code>
----------begin_max5_patcher----------
891.3ocyXtraaCCDEcs8WAgV61Hp2J.EEEMa5h1tocUSQAkDgMCjIEHobcPf
+2KeHkXmFqnDKqnMQfzTStykGOYlb27YNYrsXgC3Rvu.ylc27YyLao2XVy5Y
NqQayKQBywbn3+xxtwYg8ij3sRy10EUBLs.TxxQkqXBI.5GFm1dNg71Rr4fs
6PqWypkkXoIrtM6Vgj4qHzk+giykVY44G9d2Ef3TO8CXPf9gmZA32MuDovDY
krdGLcu3SnsgGp2a2745er3zRzJNgJAe+m+X.Rs.238RsH+NyrjyclIWwq6a
RAe96KOyEkOryjJtM71XKusBaihiy8m+jy20Xg.sD+eI7WIzZh7J7FRN9xkX
I3hB7xKxHxBbkb0kBLW+IfJDGsFKw71.TRn3bVM0DE+Aywh7iLDt8QP5Qrrn
Wpk4MbHh.WBt1g7NQNii+3Qsrqc5KG487thq8qEvtAofi5JYH5RmECp67JAJ
sn.ppG3kmOVxOz3Zg9tFVxqaVxeByRZwLHfTikDjZJ1BSi5BjRmbbDUU7QTg
TEhNve.WgjH.RJ4jrZIV7g6.F9ZCprFCZqcs6I4LuSmyBhMtYfEv77sE6CeZ
Sc5Tx5Hl4fvYMVheh0RfgcVvBNwAMvmYTIRQMb.kUX3q6QucGxcnbIYCQdK.
URPB6RLHW89XUqRsnnDsT.TAJmSpjDFEn5jhw0u1tyUwvvlaDn8gGryhgtST
JcPfyFqvKw3AvnztfyjoLaB9TUUIIGYXnVzTCrOhJKwHN8A1zTbDUKWw3fMX
tP+1E3r5k.crOeLXThqsbPS28gcwfwugHncvlu7sAXtFensSVWu1j83rVv4d
rF0joJkg0kjRSSSFjIbRLS3XtXS6L67Gi4ado0TFjBJMbMLNwNVdm1f2XVP4
Xi2xD2tNiUNb.PCeG1YpCOEBvbBSIoG8+nwHJ89G5CBVMOuM9sCXCdPWphkR
B0T5b+CkdvgVQJJvz8+JdAQfxJwljx8IuQFV8jLZ5oWxId7rG2okdhlX1i+D
SOSM+oGxwazTiWOTy34MI84pxc7tp5ycUznImz93N9im6DzG8DMo9hUxjRMO
hudqkS5zxbBFM4zq+h0jRMuVuw1qJpppY5ZiTzBQ0c9MLtdY7ByRB0tzDQGt
ZB+1yGY1AwUMbKUcaWysMnuMxNknyZ039bZMooOY0u4cy+WgQM7F

Re: Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

BTW I’m also noticing another issue:

If I open the MinuitInterface.maxhelp patch from the master branch of the minuit repository and then close it again, I’m no longer able to create a “udpreceive 9998” object. udpreceive posts a warning to the Max window that something else is already binding to 9998, even if the MinuitInterface.maxhelp patch has been closed. Quiting and restarting Max and then creating a “udpreceive 9998” works fine. This leads me to think that the MinuitInterface.maxhelp patch does not properly release the 9998 port again when the patch is closed.

> [...]
> Wpk4MbHh.WBt1g7NQNii+3Qsrqc5KG487thq8qEvtAofi5JYH5RmECp67JAJ
> sn.ppG3kmOVxOz3Zg9tFVxqaVxeByRZwLHfTikDjZJ1BSi5BjRmbbDUU7QTg
> TEhNve.WgjH.RJ4jrZIV7g6.F9ZCprFCZqcs6I4LuSmyBhMtYfEv77sE6CeZ
> Sc5Tx5Hl4fvYMVheh0RfgcVvBNwAMvmYTIRQMb.kUX3q6QucGxcnbIYCQdK.
> URPB6RLHW89XUqRsnnDsT.TAJmSpjDFEn5jhw0u1tyUwvvlaDn8gGryhgtST
> JcPfyFqvKw3AvnztfyjoLaB9TUUIIGYXnVzTCrOhJKwHN8A1zTbDUKWw3fMX
> tP+1E3r5k.crOeLXThqsbPS28gcwfwugHncvlu7sAXtFensSVWu1j83rVv4d
> rF0joJkg0kjRSSSFjIbRLS3XtXS6L67Gi4ado0TFjBJMbMLNwNVdm1f2XVP4
> Xi2xD2tNiUNb.PCeG1YpCOEBvbBSIoG8+nwHJ89G5CBVMOuM9sCXCdPWphkR
> B0T5b+CkdvgVQJJvz8+JdAQfxJwljx8IuQFV8jLZ5oWxId7rG2okdhlX1i+D
> SOSM+oGxwazTiWOTy34MI84pxc7tp5ycUznImz93N9im6DzG8DMo9hUxjRMO
> hudqkS5zxbBFM4zq+h0jRMuVuw1qJpppY5ZiTzBQ0c9MLtdY7ByRB0tzDQGt
> ZB+1yGY1AwUMbKUcaWysMnuMxNknyZ039bZMooOY0u4cy+WgQM7F

Re: Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

Théo de la Hogue-2
Hi Trond,
I recommand to use j.minuit_device.maxpat component from the Jamoma package itself even if the both are based on j.modular so the same problems should happen (notice by default the Minuit device created by j.minuit_device is « newDevice » ).

> [...]
> Wpk4MbHh.WBt1g7NQNii+3Qsrqc5KG487thq8qEvtAofi5JYH5RmECp67JAJ
> sn.ppG3kmOVxOz3Zg9tFVxqaVxeByRZwLHfTikDjZJ1BSi5BjRmbbDUU7QTg
> TEhNve.WgjH.RJ4jrZIV7g6.F9ZCprFCZqcs6I4LuSmyBhMtYfEv77sE6CeZ
> Sc5Tx5Hl4fvYMVheh0RfgcVvBNwAMvmYTIRQMb.kUX3q6QucGxcnbIYCQdK.
> URPB6RLHW89XUqRsnnDsT.TAJmSpjDFEn5jhw0u1tyUwvvlaDn8gGryhgtST
> JcPfyFqvKw3AvnztfyjoLaB9TUUIIGYXnVzTCrOhJKwHN8A1zTbDUKWw3fMX
> tP+1E3r5k.crOeLXThqsbPS28gcwfwugHncvlu7sAXtFensSVWu1j83rVv4d
> rF0joJkg0kjRSSSFjIbRLS3XtXS6L67Gi4ado0TFjBJMbMLNwNVdm1f2XVP4
> Xi2xD2tNiUNb.PCeG1YpCOEBvbBSIoG8+nwHJ89G5CBVMOuM9sCXCdPWphkR
> B0T5b+CkdvgVQJJvz8+JdAQfxJwljx8IuQFV8jLZ5oWxId7rG2okdhlX1i+D
> SOSM+oGxwazTiWOTy34MI84pxc7tp5ycUznImz93N9im6DzG8DMo9hUxjRMO
> hudqkS5zxbBFM4zq+h0jRMuVuw1qJpppY5ZiTzBQ0c9MLtdY7ByRB0tzDQGt
> ZB+1yGY1AwUMbKUcaWysMnuMxNknyZ039bZMooOY0u4cy+WgQM7F

Re: Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

Have you tried using another port for your Jamoma Minuit device ?
That might (or might not) help…

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org

> [...]
>> Wpk4MbHh.WBt1g7NQNii+3Qsrqc5KG487thq8qEvtAofi5JYH5RmECp67JAJ
>> sn.ppG3kmOVxOz3Zg9tFVxqaVxeByRZwLHfTikDjZJ1BSi5BjRmbbDUU7QTg
>> TEhNve.WgjH.RJ4jrZIV7g6.F9ZCprFCZqcs6I4LuSmyBhMtYfEv77sE6CeZ
>> Sc5Tx5Hl4fvYMVheh0RfgcVvBNwAMvmYTIRQMb.kUX3q6QucGxcnbIYCQdK.
>> URPB6RLHW89XUqRsnnDsT.TAJmSpjDFEn5jhw0u1tyUwvvlaDn8gGryhgtST
>> JcPfyFqvKw3AvnztfyjoLaB9TUUIIGYXnVzTCrOhJKwHN8A1zTbDUKWw3fMX
>> tP+1E3r5k.crOeLXThqsbPS28gcwfwugHncvlu7sAXtFensSVWu1j83rVv4d
>> rF0joJkg0kjRSSSFjIbRLS3XtXS6L67Gi4ado0TFjBJMbMLNwNVdm1f2XVP4
>> Xi2xD2tNiUNb.PCeG1YpCOEBvbBSIoG8+nwHJ89G5CBVMOuM9sCXCdPWphkR
>> B0T5b+CkdvgVQJJvz8+JdAQfxJwljx8IuQFV8jLZ5oWxId7rG2okdhlX1i+D
>> SOSM+oGxwazTiWOTy34MI84pxc7tp5ycUznImz93N9im6DzG8DMo9hUxjRMO
>> hudqkS5zxbBFM4zq+h0jRMuVuw1qJpppY5ZiTzBQ0c9MLtdY7ByRB0tzDQGt
>> ZB+1yGY1AwUMbKUcaWysMnuMxNknyZ039bZMooOY0u4cy+WgQM7F

Re: Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

That unfortunately did not make any difference.

> [...]
>>> sn.ppG3kmOVxOz3Zg9tFVxqaVxeByRZwLHfTikDjZJ1BSi5BjRmbbDUU7QTg
>>> TEhNve.WgjH.RJ4jrZIV7g6.F9ZCprFCZqcs6I4LuSmyBhMtYfEv77sE6CeZ
>>> Sc5Tx5Hl4fvYMVheh0RfgcVvBNwAMvmYTIRQMb.kUX3q6QucGxcnbIYCQdK.
>>> URPB6RLHW89XUqRsnnDsT.TAJmSpjDFEn5jhw0u1tyUwvvlaDn8gGryhgtST
>>> JcPfyFqvKw3AvnztfyjoLaB9TUUIIGYXnVzTCrOhJKwHN8A1zTbDUKWw3fMX
>>> tP+1E3r5k.crOeLXThqsbPS28gcwfwugHncvlu7sAXtFensSVWu1j83rVv4d
>>> rF0joJkg0kjRSSSFjIbRLS3XtXS6L67Gi4ado0TFjBJMbMLNwNVdm1f2XVP4
>>> Xi2xD2tNiUNb.PCeG1YpCOEBvbBSIoG8+nwHJ89G5CBVMOuM9sCXCdPWphkR
>>> B0T5b+CkdvgVQJJvz8+JdAQfxJwljx8IuQFV8jLZ5oWxId7rG2okdhlX1i+D
>>> SOSM+oGxwazTiWOTy34MI84pxc7tp5ycUznImz93N9im6DzG8DMo9hUxjRMO
>>> hudqkS5zxbBFM4zq+h0jRMuVuw1qJpppY5ZiTzBQ0c9MLtdY7ByRB0tzDQGt
>>> ZB+1yGY1AwUMbKUcaWysMnuMxNknyZ039bZMooOY0u4cy+WgQM7F

Re: Problems with Minuit connection in Max/Jamoma

Pascal Baltazar-5
So maybe that comes from an old Minuit.dylib… can you look them up ?

You could also check (by posting the messages: send 1 to first inlet of MinuitInterface object) that the syntax complies with the latest Minuit specs
If they don’t that definitely means there is some old stuff laying around…

In any case, Théo is the only one really knowledgeable on this…

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org

Hi,