Plugtastic development?

alfonso.santimone
Hi guys,
sorry if it seems trivial but given some ongoin' work on Jamoma for Win i wonder what's the status of Plugtastic project. Would be a fream to export Max patches as VST/i without diving into gen~.
thanks and all the best!
a.
tap

Re: Plugtastic development?

tap
Hi Alfonso!

We certainly have made progress on the core of Jamoma which could lay the foundation for reviving Plugtastic. Before engaging in such work, however, we would need to understand if it's value equals or exceeds the required effort. Or we would need someone who is motivated to make the needed contributions. Or both.

So to asses that, I have a few questions:

1. What do you see as the benefits of Plugtastic/Jamoma over "diving into gen~"
2. What are the points of pain you experience, or expect to experience, using the gen~ option?
3. Forgetting about the current reality of both Jamoma and Gen, how would you like all of this to work in an ideal world?

​Thanks!​
Tim

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:05 AM, alfonso.santimone <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,
sorry if it seems trivial but given some ongoin' work on Jamoma for Win i
wonder what's the status of Plugtastic project. Would be a fream to export
Max patches as VST/i without diving into gen~.
thanks and all the best!
a.

Re: Plugtastic development?

alfonso.santimone
Hi Tim,

1. What do you see as the benefits of Plugtastic/Jamoma over "diving into gen~"

Well, gen is lower level. So you have to reinvent the weel (i.e. bandlimited oscillators, filters, envelopes, fft stuff and the likes) when at the higher Max level we have plenty of objects for a lot of stuff. Also inside gen we can't use buffers, but we can only refer to buffers that are at the Max level outside the gen world. Ideally gen is great for low level stuff and Max is more powerful at a higher level.

2. What are the points of pain you experience, or expect to experience, using the gen~ option?

Polyphony management, buffer management, harder dsp stuff like blit oscillators etc., the need to reinvent the weel for simple adsr envelopes, no pfft etc.

3. Forgetting about the current reality of both Jamoma and Gen, how would you like all of this to work in an ideal world?

Export a full Max patch ( gen subpatches included ) as a VST/i for both 32 and 64 bit architectures, with UI controls and flexible midi/audio routings ( multiple audio in/out, midi in/out for both effects and instruments), with every parameter visible to the VST host and export OSC stuff is there's any in the patch.

I'll be happy to help for what i can do!

thanks!
a.

Il giorno 04/mag/2015, alle ore 23:10, "tap [via Jamoma Forums/Mailing lists]" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

To unsubscribe from Plugtastic development?, click here.
NAML
tap

Re: Plugtastic development?

tap
Those are super good points; thanks for sharing! In particular, raising the issue of a lack of higher-level abstraction layer in gen~ is interesting to me.

In July a group of us will be meeting in Florida to talk about the Graph and AudioGraph which is the Foundation of Plugtastic. This reflection will certainly be helpful.

Tim

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:51 PM, alfonso.santimone <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

[...]

Sent from the Jamoma Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.