Integration test cleanup

I have just done work to clean up the integration tests of JamomaMax. I have moved all tests that have not yet been ported to use testpackage out of the way, as well as all tests that cause crashes or has other problems. As a result, when I now run automated tests from the testpackage ruby script, all integration tests and assertions now pass. I’ve been running automated integration tests repeatedly today using Max 7 in 64-bit mode.

This change is in accordance with the discussion at the last BOD, were we agreed that only integration tests expected to pass should be included in the automatic runs. These tests are expected to pass at all time. If they don’t, it implies that we have been doing some recent changes that have been breaking something.

I don’t generally use to do New Years resolutions, but I hope this move can help us all to get back to running integration tests regularly (= very often). Integration tests were an effort that me, Nils and Tim put a lot of effort into, and it has been a pity to see how this has dwindled for a while in the 0.5.7 => 0.6 transition. I’m about to update the build script so that it looks for the testpakage in “~/Documents/Max 7/packages”.

Cheers,

Re: Integration test cleanup

Pascal Baltazar-5
On 31 Dec 2014, at 20:23, Trond Lossius <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don’t generally use to do New Years resolutions, but I hope this move can help us all to get back to running integration tests regularly (= very often). Integration tests were an effort that me, Nils and Tim put a lot of effort into, and it has been a pity to see how this has dwindled for a while in the 0.5.7 => 0.6 transition. I’m about to update the build script so that it looks for the testpakage in “~/Documents/Max 7/packages”.

Is this something that we, Max-only developers, can contribute to ? My impression is that this mainly needs to be done chen implementing things in C++, right ?

If Max-developers can contribute in a sensible way, a good way to have this adopted would be to make a nice tutorial…

P.S. : and merry wishes to you all !!!

tap

Re: Integration test cleanup

Pascal Baltazar-5
For the record, our skype discussion with Trond on the topic:

Trond Lossius: Ragarding integration tests: These are Max patchers, and the purpose is to check that externals (and possibly components and models) work properly in Max
Trond Lossius: So all Max developers can join in to help maintain and port integration tests
Trond Lossius: There’s some documentation in the testpackage itself
Trond Lossius: Additionally I’ve been writing some additional guidelines in Doxygen found at api.jamoma,org, but that needs some further updating.
Trond Lossius: And the integration tests that we have already are the best illustration of how to do it
Trond Lossius: I’d recommend checking out the integration test for j.pi as a start
Pascal Baltazar: Yes, but AFAIU tests are used to make sure that functions of externals work, so probably the most well-place persons to do that would be the developers when adding new functions, right ?
Pascal Baltazar: Even if of course we can help porting old test I guess
Trond Lossius: Not necessarily, the only thing required is that you have a clear idea that “if I send THIS message to the object, I expect THAT message to be passed back out,” which is much more about having a clear idea of the *specification* of the object, not it’s code.
Trond Lossius: In larger projects it’s common that tests are not developed by the same person that do the coding.

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org