How to debug JamomaPuredata on Mac OS X

Antoine Villeret
Hello,

I'm currently trying to debug JamomaPuredata on Mac OS X and I want to share my setup since it's not so obvious at least for me.

First you need to clone the JamomaPuredata repo https://github.com/jamoma/JamomaPureData.git and initialized its submodules.
This is the easiest step.

$ cd JamomaPuredata
$ git submodule update --init

Then you could use the CMake GUI to configure the project, or use this command line to generate the project :
$ cmake -G "Xcode" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${PWD}/JamomaInstall -DFAT_BINARY=ON -DPD_MAIN_PATH=/Applications/Pd-0.46-6-64bit.app/Contents/Resources/src /path/to/the/JamomaPuredata/folder

This will generate Xcode project.
Don't forget to setup the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to a path you can write to and you know where it is.
And of course adjust the path to your system installation.

Then you could open the project in Xcode and build it.

Prior to debug you have to build the install target which will put all the files needed into the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/jamoma/JamomaPd/Jamoma.
You have to symlink this folder into ~/Library/Pd with :

$ ln -s CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/jamoma/JamomaPd/Jamoma ~/Library/Pd
of course replace CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX with the value you use in the cmake step.

Then you have to configure Xcode to run Pd in debug mode.
But Xcode can't use the application bundle to debug, you have to point to the pd exececutable in /Applications/Pd-0.46-6-64bit.app/Contents/Resources/bin folder.
But Xcode browser can't enter into the bundle tree...
So I made a symlink of the Ressources folder in ~/pd and use it to select the pd executable.

In the Arguments tab, you should add `-nrt -noprefs -lib Jamoma` those will be passed to Pd at launch.

On my system, when I run it like this, Pd loads Jamoma from the build directory which is not what I want.
The only workaround I found to avoid that is to move the build folder to /tmp before starting Pd and restore it after with the pre- and post-actions script.

This is kind of hack, but if you're here, you seems to use Puredata, and thus you should be used to hack things :-)

I hope this will encourage someone to setup a debug environment and help debugging JamomaPuredata on Mac OS.

Cheers

Antoine
--
do it yourself
http://antoine.villeret.free.fr

Re: How to debug JamomaPuredata on Mac OS X

Pascal Baltazar-5
Thanks Antoine !

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to put that on <a href="ttps://github.com/jamoma/JamomaPureData/wiki" class="">github wiki also ?

Cheers !

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org

Le 16 août 2015 à 14:17, Antoine Villeret <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to put that on github wiki also ?
yes of course !
can you do that ?

+

Cheers !

[...]

How do you like it ?

Pascal Baltazar
[hidden email]
http://www.baltazars.org

Le 16 août 2015 à 16:35, Antoine Villeret <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

thanks a lot

I just add some markdown syntax

cheers

antoine

[...]

Théo de la Hogue-2
Hi Antoine,
I tried to build JamomaPureData but without success.

here is my Cmake gui output : it seems there is trouble with a missing the configuration file GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake.in
my JamomaCore submodule is currently on HEAD detached at 1c03d3c

Best

wall-e:Build_PureData WALL-E$ cmake -G "Xcode" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${PWD}/JamomaInstall -DFAT_BINARY=ON -DPD_MAIN_PATH=/Applications/Pd-0.46-6-64bit.app/Contents/Resources/src /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData
Configuring Implementation/PureData build
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Builds/Build_PureData/JamomaInstall/jamoma/
Configure JamomaCore
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Builds/Build_PureData/JamomaInstall/jamoma/
CMake Error: File /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData/JamomaCore/Shared/CMake/modules/GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake.in does not exist.
CMake Error at JamomaCore/Shared/CMake/modules/GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake:74 (configure_file):
  configure_file Problem configuring file
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  JamomaCore/Shared/CMake/modules/GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake:129 (get_git_head_revision)
  JamomaCore/Foundation/library/CMakeLists.txt:12 (get_jamoma_version)

building version  with tag
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE
-- Found dl: /usr/lib/libdl.dylib
-- Found PORTAUDIO: /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData/JamomaCore/DSP/extensions/AudioEngine/portaudio/libportaudio-jamoma.a
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework
Linking AudioEngine with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework
-- Found SNDFILE: /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData/JamomaCore/DSP/extensions/SoundfileLib/libsndfile/libsndfile-jamoma.a
Checking /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData/JamomaCore/DSP/extensions/SoundfileLib/libsndfile/libsndfile-jamoma.a architecture.
-- Found PORTMIDI: /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData/JamomaCore/Graph/extensions/MidiLib/portmidi/libportmidi-jamoma.a
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework
Linking MidiLib with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework
Linking MIDI with /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework
-- Found LibXml2: /usr/lib/libxml2.dylib (found version "2.9.0")
PD_MAIN_PATH : /Applications/Pd-0.46-6-64bit.app/Contents/Resources/src
finding m_pd.h
-- Found PD: PD_INCLUDE_DIRS-NOT_FOUND
building on Git rev : 5c5bcc9
Git tag :
Configuring CicmWrapper
See also "/Users/WALL-E/Documents/Builds/Build_PureData/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Le 16 août 2015 à 22:50, Antoine Villeret <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Hello Theo,

Hi Antoine,
I tried to build JamomaPureData but without success.

here is my Cmake gui output : it seems there is trouble with a missing the configuration file GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake.in
my JamomaCore submodule is currently on HEAD detached at 1c03d3c

this have been fix a while ago I think, please update JamomaCore submodule and try again
btw, according to the log CMake seems to not find Pd headers (m_pd.h), please check PD_MAIN_PATH variable to point to the right location.

cheers

antoine

[...]

thanks for your help !

now I’m binding the master branch of JamomaCore and I have added the entry for PD_MAIN_PATH: the cmake configuration seems ok now.

but now there is a problem when generating files (see below).
it looks like if it was tring to generate files from the Jamoma umbrella repositiory.
Do I need to add one more entry to specify it is not from the umbrella repository ?

Configuring Implementation/PureData build
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Builds/Build_PureData/JamomaInstall/jamoma/
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /Users/WALL-E/Documents/Builds/Build_PureData/JamomaInstall/jamoma/
Found dl: /usr/lib/libdl.dylib
[...]
PD_MAIN_PATH :
Found PD: /Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/include
building on Git rev : 5c5bcc9
Git tag :
Configuring CicmWrapper
Configuring done
CMake Error at JamomaCore/Shared/CMake/JamomaUtilFunctions.cmake:125 (add_library):
Cannot find source file:

/Users/WALL-E/Documents/Jamoma/Implementations/PureData/Implementations/Max/source/c74support/max-includes/common/commonsyms.cpp

Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm .hpp
.hxx .in .txx
Call Stack (most recent call first):
JamomaCore/Modular/extensions/Max/CMakeLists.txt:34 (add_jamoma_extension)

CMake Error: CMake can not determine linker language for target: Max
CMake Error in JamomaCore/Modular/extensions/Max/CMakeLists.txt:
Exporting the target "Max" is not allowed since its linker language cannot
be determined

[...]

Generating done

Le 17 août 2015 à 15:52, Antoine Villeret <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

hum, try to switch to dev branch and try again

btw, after a double check, it seems that I forgot to update JamomaCore submodule
this should be fixed now

try again :-)

+

[...]

Ok nice !
the xcode project is well generated now but it fails to build because it seems to not find m_imp.h.
here a picture of the problem in xcode :

Le 17 août 2015 à 17:02, Antoine Villeret <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

did you note the erratum ?
PD_MAIN_PATH should point to a folder where there is a 'src' folder where there are Pd's sources.
If you believe you pass the right PATH, then you may need to start again by deleting the folder from where you run cmake, recreate it and try again

If you pass a wrong path to cmake, it could reside in the cache and can't be override by a new path.
This looks like a bug that should be fixed.

Cheers

antoine

Le 17 août 2015 à 18:23, Antoine Villeret <[hidden email]> a écrit :

did you note the erratum ?
PD_MAIN_PATH should point to a folder where there is a 'src' folder where there are Pd's sources.
If you believe you pass the right PATH, then you may need to start again by deleting the folder from where you run cmake, recreate it and try again
ok I didn’t recreate it from the beginning that why it was failing
thanks !

Best

If you pass a wrong path to cmake, it could reside in the cache and can't be override by a new path.
This looks like a bug that should be fixed.

Cheers

antoine

--
do it yourself
http://antoine.villeret.free.fr

Ok nice !
the xcode project is well generated now but it fails to build because it seems to not find m_imp.h.
here a picture of the problem in xcode :

<Capture d’écran 2015-08-17 à 17.54.28.png>

[...]

hi again !
the build worked once but as the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX was wrong it was installed nowhere …

so I did the whole process again from scratch to recreate everything properly but now I have the same trouble when I try to build (can’t find m_imp.h)
I can’t understand why so here a picture of my Cmake GUI in case I miss something obvious.

Le 18 août 2015 à 08:16, Théo de la Hogue <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

'morning dude,

If you don't set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX it should go in /usr/local or something similar that need root privilege to write to.
And since this is a development in progress, it may mess up your computer :-)

concerning Pd header, I should really review the header finding mechanism, since it appear it's not working...
at least, pd-extended doesn't have the same header architecture as Pd-vanilla.
Moreover pd-extended is dead 2 years ago.
So I don't want to spend time on supporting a dead software. :-X

So please try again with Pd-vanilla, either 32 or 64bit version, if you build FAT binary it should work with both.

JamomaPd used to work with Pd-extended but since CicmWrapper changes a little bit (it doesn't comes with Pd header anymore) then it's more difficult to maintain this compatibility.

cheers

Antoine

[...]

ha and please also note that I maid some changes yesterday evening to remove uneeded library from support folder
and to pull this changes, you may need to update the submodule JamomCore (or switch to the fix/include_only_needed_lib (or something similar) branch).
this require a full reconfiguration of the project I guess but eliminates some strange bugs.

cheers

Antoine