Faust and Jamoma DSP?

Hi Nils,

While at ICMC/SMC in Athens, the topic of integration between Jamoma and Faust came up. Do I recall correctly that you did some work towards a Faust extension for Jamoma DSP a while back?

Re: Faust and Jamoma DSP?

Nils Peters
Hi Trond,

yes, I did work on a separate faust branch within the DSP git repository.
It was primarily to explore the possibility to convert faust code into
Jamoma extensions.
At that time, I've manually ported some Faust examples to Jamoma.
I never finished to created a Jamoma architecture file that would render
faust code automatically into Jamoma extensions.
We can talk offline if you want to know more about the problems I had
with that.

HTH,

Nils

On 2014-10-10 12:22 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
> Hi Nils,
>
> While at ICMC/SMC in Athens, the topic of integration between Jamoma and Faust came up. Do I recall correctly that you did some work towards a Faust extension for Jamoma DSP a while back?
>
> Best,

Re: Faust and Jamoma DSP?

Théo de la Hogue-2
Hi Nils !
Hi Trond !

not sure if I need to turn the discussion offlist now …
As I looked to the work you started to turn Faust code into Jamoma code, I'm wondering to discuss if we could not find another approach to embedded Faust into Jamoma.

One idea we had during ICMC when discussing with Stephane Letz (who is one of the Faust guy) was to wrap Faust unit (through the compiler and processor) into JamomaAudioGraph in order to get the benefit of multicable in Max with the benefit of a dynamic compilation and execution of a DSP unit on the fly. Currently there is already a faustgen~ external that allow to compile and execute on the fly a Faust code for a non scalable number of channel so the idea would be to have something like faustgen= external ...

I'm not not sure of what implies this approach at the C++ layer (even if I guess we need to expose Faust unit parameters as Jamoma attributes and then we pass audio buffers to send / receive audio from the Faust processing itself).

What do you think about this proposition ?

Hi Nils,

On 2014-10-10 12:22 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
Hi Nils,

While at ICMC/SMC in Athens, the topic of integration between Jamoma and Faust came up. Do I recall correctly that you did some work towards a Faust extension for Jamoma DSP a while back?

Re: Faust and Jamoma DSP?

Nils Peters
Hi Theo

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

~ Nils

Sorrry for the typos - blame my iPod

On 2014-10-10 12:22 AM, Trond Lossius wrote:
Hi Nils,

While at ICMC/SMC in Athens, the topic of integration between Jamoma and Faust came up. Do I recall correctly that you did some work towards a Faust extension for Jamoma DSP a while back?

Re: Faust and Jamoma DSP?

This sounds good to me as well!

Cheers,
Trond

> On 20 Oct 2014, at 15:19, Nils Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Theo
>
> Yes, that sounds like a good idea.
>

> ~ Nils
>
> Sorrry for the typos - blame my iPod
>
> On Oct 13, 2014, at 10:40, Théo de la Hogue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nils !
>> Hi Trond !
>>
>> not sure if I need to turn the discussion offlist now …
>> As I looked to the work you started to turn Faust code into Jamoma code, I'm wondering to discuss if we could not find another approach to embedded Faust into Jamoma.
>>
>> One idea we had during ICMC when discussing with Stephane Letz (who is one of the Faust guy) was to wrap Faust unit (through the compiler and processor) into JamomaAudioGraph in order to get the benefit of multicable in Max with the benefit of a dynamic compilation and execution of a DSP unit on the fly. Currently there is already a faustgen~ external that allow to compile and execute on the fly a Faust code for a non scalable number of channel so the idea would be to have something like faustgen= external ...
>>
>> I'm not not sure of what implies this approach at the C++ layer (even if I guess we need to expose Faust unit parameters as Jamoma attributes and then we pass audio buffers to send / receive audio from the Faust processing itself).
>>
>> What do you think about this proposition ?
>>
>> Best,
>>

>> Le 13 oct. 2014 à 05:32, Nils Peters <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Trond,
>>>
>>> yes, I did work on a separate faust branch within the DSP git repository.
>>> It was primarily to explore the possibility to convert faust code into
>>> Jamoma extensions.
>>> At that time, I've manually ported some Faust examples to Jamoma.
>>> I never finished to created a Jamoma architecture file that would render
>>> faust code automatically into Jamoma extensions.
>>> We can talk offline if you want to know more about the problems I had
>>> with that.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Nils

Re: Faust and Jamoma DSP?

Théo de la Hogue-2
Hi,
glad to see you are ok for this.
now I hope the apply will be accepted ;-)